Saturday, August 25, 2018

Going Nowhere

The breeze was just too strong for a ringing session. Even at 10 mph we are blown off course at Oakenclough.  I set off instead for a spot of birding in what would prove to be a quite productive and eventful morning. 

At Lane Ends Pilling I was early enough to see the Little Egrets depart their island roost. The site is now so overgrown that it’s impossible to see the egrets from any direction, the only option being to count them in at dusk or count them out at dawn.  In the morning they signal their imminent departure by their barking calls after which they fly in ones, twos and threes from the trees to the marsh below. I counted 28 heading out and landing on the marsh before they gradually scattered in all directions to later spend their day in Morecambe Bay. 

Little Egret 

There was a flight of Greylag Geese off the marsh and heading south over my head. I counted 70+ in just ten or fifteen minutes. By the time I reached Braides Farm Greylags were still on the move with another two parties of 40+ birds, they too heading south. There was a Kestrel here, a young bird and one of very few juvenile Kestrels I've seen this year. 

There was a very good selection of waders at Conder Green by way of 270 Lapwing, 44 Redshank, 7 Greenshank, 4 Dunlin, 3 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Curlew, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Snipe and 1 Oystercatcher. 

Dunlin 

Other “water” birds appeared as 12 Little Grebe, 3 Little Egret, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Shelduck, 1 Common Tern and 1 Kingfisher. The Kingfisher didn't come close and I was forced to watch it hovering and then plunge-diving across the pool and in front of the far island. This where the grebes hang out and where there are lots of small fish to be had. 

Little Grebe 

A single Whitethroat and 6 Goldfinch was the sum of the passerine count although 120+ Swallows was a welcome sight. 

At Glasson the Tufted Duck numbers are building with 22 there today plus a single Great Crested Grebe, but otherwise a decent number of uncounted Common Coot and a single Grey Heron. 

Tufted Duck 

There were more Swallows along Jeremy Lane where the good folk of Gardner’s Farm seem not to mind their roof and TV aerial being decorated by Swallows and House Martins. 

Swallow 

Swallow 

House Martin & Swallow 

Further up the lane I had to turn around and head back. A recovery truck was on its way to rescue an Asda delivery van from the roadside ditch. Someone near Cockersands would wait in vain for their Internet shopping bags. 

Going Nowhere 

Asda Delivery 

The lanes up here are often single track where a driver unfamiliar with local niceties like giving way to large tractors may find they are off-road with nowhere to go. 

Back near Pilling again I found 4 Buzzards in the air and a Little Owl sat in the sun but sheltered from the now stiff northerly wind. 

Little Owl 

More soon. Stay tuned to Another Bird Blog.

Linking today to Anni's Birding Blog.


14 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Hello Phil: Nice morning of birding to be sure. it’s interesting that you still have Barn Swallows. We opened the mist nets this morning, but all the Barn Swallows have left and are no doubt winging their way to South America as we speak. We didn’t have a huge number of birds, but a nice range of species, and flycatchers and warblers are now really on the move. The forecast for tomorrow is a little iffy, but if the weather permits we will be back at it again.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Lovely image of the Little Egret phil. Have a great weekend.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You finished with my favorite...the Little Owl! How sweet! I may have to buy a stuffed toy since I can never find one in the wild. Better not order one until the delivery trucks on out of the ditch though! heehee!

Rhodesia said...

What a great set of photos. I especially love the Little owl. Your photos of swallows are amazing, they never stay still for me anywhere that I can take photos! The egret shot is also great. Have a good Sunday. Diane

Anni said...

Poor driver! I'd hate to be stuck like that...going nowhere.
Loved the owl & in flight photo of the egret. Here's hoping the winds calm for you soon.

We all send our thanks for joining us at I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend!

Stuart Price said...

I remember that huge ASDA in the old mill in Preston: the last time I visited an ASDA must have been 40 years ago!

Angie said...

Oh dear, that poor driver. Perhaps his delay gave him some time for bird-watching! I will have to words with our owls, as they never seem to show their faces, sun or otherwise!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

If you hadn’t wanted to ring that would have been a perfect birding day! Lovely birds and beautiful pictures of them. Thank you. I came sort of close last week to the kind of counts you get regularly. So exciting.

mick said...

Another interesting post and great photos. I especially liked the dunlins which I don't see down here. Thanks also for the previous post about the research work being done on the migrating small birds. Sorry didn't reply before - my eyes are proving again to be a pain and a pest!!

Lady Fi said...

Wonderful shots.

italiafinlandia said...

Of course I'll stay tuned!
Have a nice week.

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh WOW!
Your image of the Little Egret is fantastic.

All the best Jan

Aditya Narayan Mohanty said...

Lovely . Please tell something about my captures on my blog .

Aditya Narayan Mohanty said...

Great capture too . Have a nice day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails