Tuesday, April 4, 2017

More Siskin News

Details arrived of yet another Siskin recovery. Siskins are well worth catching, a species that gives good recovery data, often from ringer to ringer many miles apart, rather than examples of bird mortality. 

Siskin

Andy and I have targeted this species at Oakenclough near Garstang and we now have a number of recoveries showing that Siskins moving through here in February, March and April are on their way to the Scottish highlands. The latest one is bang up to date as it concerned a Siskin we ringed in March 2016, later recaptured by a ringer in Scotland during March of 2017 just a few weeks ago.

As often happens, most of the intervening period remains a mystery other than the fact that after breeding in Scotland the bird would migrate the south of England or across the English Channel to the near Continent.  Lancashire in March is just a staging post in a Siskin’s long migration north.

We ringed Siskin Z860724 as an adult male at Oakenclough near Garstang on 31st March 2016. The finding date was 10th March 2017 in the Highlands of Scotland at Balnain, Glenurquhar. The duration is 344 days and a distance of 398 km. 

Siskin - Oakenclough to Balnain, Scotland

The weather is pretty mixed at the moment with showers and less than ideal wind conditions. Thursday and/or Friday are earmarked for a spot of ringing again at Oakenclough. Stay tuned and discover our catch. 



7 comments:

Stuart Price said...

I wonder where the Siskins I see in the winter (in south Hokkaido, Japan) come from...............Russia I guess?

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is cool to recapture one of your Siskins. They are beautiful birds. Happy Birding, I hope the rain goes away! Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Linda said...

Awwwww.....what a beautiful little bird, Phil! Here in Montreal it is a very rainy day today. Yesterday it was sunny and mild. But I am O.K. with the rain, because for one things, the birds don't mind, as they get a free bath, and secondly, because of "April showers bring May flowers." I hope you have a fantastic week! :)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It's great that you have recoveries, Phil. I am looking forward to the return of our Barn Swallows so that we can see if we are able to retrap any of the birds we banded last fall. But the greatest story with which I am familiar is of a Canadian research who banded Semipalmated Plovers on the James Bay Lowlands and then discovered one of the birds she had banded, in Surinam when doing winter research down there.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh how lovely are these beautiful Siskins. Wonderful what you are able to do~

Tanvi said...

Hi Phil,

My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

I would like to personally congratulate you as your Another Bird Blog has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 80 Bird Blogs on the web.

http://blog.feedspot.com/bird_blogs/

I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 80 Bird Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

Best,
Anuj

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks to you Phil I actually recognise a siskin while watching a TV programme last night. I said to husband Eddie, "that's a siskin they are holding" (they were ringing it) he asked how did I know ... my reply "I read and saw about them on Phil's blog!"

So thank you.

All the best Jan

Related Posts with Thumbnails