Thursday, April 6, 2017

First Willys

Preparation is everything for these early starts. I packed a bag with camera, outdoor breakfast and a vacuum flask primed with coffee & milk.  The alarm was set for 0500 allowing time for a rapid wake-me-up shower. A large mug of tea, a piece of toast and twenty minutes later I’m on the road heading for Oakenclough and a few spring migrants. 

As I arrived Andy was already on the move and keen for the off. According to the Beeb’s weather forecast, the morning would be dry but 100% cloudy. It was more of the BBC’s bogus information as we started off in bright sunshine but by 10am a belt of rain arrived and we took the nets down. 

We caught slowly but surely and ended up with another 20 birds in the field sheet including our first Willow Warblers of 2017. Once again, finches led the list at 6 Goldfinch, 4 Lesser Redpoll, 4 Siskin, 2 Willow Warbler, 2 Chafffinch, 1 Robin and 1 Coal Tit. 

Lesser Redpoll

Lesser Redpoll
 
Siskin

Willow Warbler

Birding was pretty quiet although we thought that Siskins and Lesser Redpolls were around in larger numbers than of late with upwards of 25 of both species either lurking or passing overhead. Just the two Willow Warblers we caught, zero Chiffchaffs on site today and still no Goldcrests! 

Otherwise - 15/20 Goldfinch, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Pied Wagtail, 2 Mistle Thrush, 1 Song Thrush.

Linking today to Eileen's Saturday.


10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I would be thrilled to see all of these birds. The Redpoll and Siskins and the Warbler are all beautiful. Great photos.

Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

When I saw the title I thought of Willy Wagtails not Willow Warblers. Isn't Willy Wagtail a popular vernacular term for White (or Pied) Wagtail?

Stuart Price said...

Can't remember Willow Warblers arriving so early when I birded the NW back in the day.............

Linda said...

Awwww....they are all so sweet and beautiful!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

WOW you certainly go out there prepared well... Ahh tea and toast, a favorite of mine as well... The Lesser Redpoll is absolutely beautiful. I have just posted my post about the Be Strong LIVE tour that my daughter set up. I am still in awe of what they are doing to STOP bullying. Sadly we have a leader over here, who also does the same huge sigh!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Phil, just wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up and sharing this post. I just love the cute Redpoll. Happy weekend to you!

Rajesh said...

Very beautiful birds.

carol l mckenna said...

Love all the birds photos ~ great photography ~ thanks,

Wishing you a Happy Day ~ ^_^

Lowcarb team member said...

5.00am is a very early start ... but well worth it when you see these wonderful birds.
I love seeing your photo's, I think my favourite is the Lesser Redpoll.

All the best Jan

betty-NZ said...

You get to see the cutest little birds! These are new to me, so I'm glad you shared them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails