Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Searching Them Out

Through Pilling this morning I noticed how a number of farmers have taken a cut of the silage, leaving at last somewhere for Lapwings and Curlews to feed, even though the land is very dry at the moment. There was a good number of Curlews at Gulf Lane with 60 or more on the field nearest the road and another 30+ at Braides Farm but Curlews not ones to hang around for a portrait when a car slows down so the camera remained switched to “off”. 

I was on the way north to Glasson and Conder hoping to see a few birds and to grab new pictures. The regular wildfowl and egrets all stay clear of the well visited viewing spot so it’s a case of look long and look hard for the birds - 1 Goldeneye, 2 Wigeon, 2 Teal, 2 Little Grebe, 5 Little Egret, 1 Grey Heron, and 1 Cormorant today. 
 
Grey Heron

A variety of observers have christened the long staying Goldeneye as “female”, “male” or, perhaps to be on the safe side, an “immature”. Months ago I initially thought it a male and although it hasn’t advanced its plumage too much, today it definitely appeared to be of the masculine variety.

Goldeneye

The wader count followed that of late, with just 2 Little Ringed Plover, 1 Spotted Redshank, 30+Redshank, 2 Oystercatcher, 5 Common Sandpiper, 1 Greenshank, 30+ Curlew and 90+ Lapwings. Of the latter species, 40ish on the pool, the remainder fly-overs from beyond the canal and out to the marsh. 

Spotted Redshank

Not much in the way of passerines except for 3 Pied Wagtail, 4 Linnet, 6 Goldfinch, 2 Tree Sparrow and a party of 7 Long-tailed Tits.

Pied Wagtail


Early doors had seen a roost dispersal of Swallows, some 70+ perhaps from reeds nearby, but less than 10 House Martins in all and just 2 Swift. I took a quick ride to Cockersands where most birds were at the distant tide line so I clocked the nearby 3 Whimbrel, 6 Linnet, 8 Greenfinch and single Wheatear below the car park. 

Wheatear

Whimbrel

On the strength of the Wheatear I decided to go to Lane Ends looking for more and hopefully to catch a couple. No luck, although I found 3 juveniles and had a “near miss” when the net snagged on the mechanism, the birds then keeping their distance from the supposedly enticing meal worms. 

Otherwise quiet with just a Buzzard, a single Pied Wagtail and 15+ Swallows for company. 

By the way, visitor from Windsor and Maidenhead and your search question of 10th August via Google “is it ligal (sic) to have a goldfinch?” the answer is almost certainly “no” in your case and your IP address has been passed to the appropriate authorities to further investigate your whereabouts and reasons for asking. Likewise the Google searcher from Berkshire looking for “goldfinch traps”, you too have been clocked.

Keep looking blog readers. We'll find them one way or another.

Linking today to Stewart's Gallery.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Great finds!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Lovely selection

Nette Cecilia said...

Lovley photos ,Nette

Christian Perrin said...

I love the photo of the Wagtail with the ripple patterns in soft focus behind it!

Good on you for doing your bit in protecting wildlife! I sometimes get a bit nervous with my blog as I post about "collectible" animals like birds, reptiles and fish, as well as their locations, and I'd hate to see them end up in someone's net.

Kay L. Davies said...

Great photo of the Redshank.
And I want one of those cute, fat, little black and white sweeties for a pet.
K

Carole M. said...

Phil, a lovely series again; I was going to write the redshank was my favourite and then I kept scrolling down to others taking my eye; neat post

Russell Jenkins said...

Healthy count of a variety of species and great pictures, Phil. (Regarding your ending comments, I have to admit I am now more cautious of putting the locations of my birds on my blog as I have observed some suspicious searches have come my way)

Isidro Ortiz said...

Buenas capturas.Un abrazo

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful variety, Phil! The Pied Wagtail is one of my favorites on this post. Happy Birding and enjoy your day!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

First off, your closing remarks...glad you did the right thing Phil. I had to be careful a while back as a female Master Falconer was interested in my Red-Shouldered Hawk nest whereabouts. I had to do all kinds of shuffling about...
Your images, always so striking, very beautiful on all bird accounts.
Say there...Monday...it was right there, I saw it, I brought my camera to the ready and like a flash...GONE, was the Kingfisher. I know where 2 are, but the water is wide;( Have a Happy

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful blog you have written, and the pictures are tremendous, cheers Phil.

Wally Jones said...

It sounds as if your were foiled a bit by a faulty net today.
You certainly saw a good variety of species!

I hope to see a Redshank someday!

Related Posts with Thumbnails