Friday, August 16, 2013

Scratching A Living

It was a cool and grey start this morning and I knew not to expect much. But I wasn’t the only one at the Conder screen, Daisy was there to greet me.

Daisy

I stuck it out birding despite Daisy bringing her pal Brown Cow for a look too, both of them munching at the grass in front of me then using the timber as a scratching post. Mystery of the vandalism solved.

It was something of a Lapwing morning with many both on the pool, in the creeks and at the Glasson tide line. My count came to 250+ on Conder Pool, 150 in the adjacent creeks and 350+ at Glasson.

Lapwing

Flocks of Lapwings can be very wary, their frequent “dreads” this morning leading to noisy calling as they flew off in sudden attacks of panic. “Dread” is a term used to describe how birds take part in sudden waves of alarm – often for no reason apparent to the observer – the panic spreading very quickly through a flock of birds (especially waders) or a colony (especially gulls and terns). The birds rise and fly off together, usually returning to the same or a similar spot very soon, but the event is always accompanied by lots of alarm calls.

Click on the xeno-canto button to hear the Lapwings.



Lapwing

Other waders this morning - 2 Little Ringed Plover, 75 Redshank, 4 Common Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, 2 Curlew, 1 Spotted Redshank and 1 Greenshank.

Common Sandpiper

A mixed bag of non-waders - 1 Grey Heron, 2 Little Egret, 1 Cormorant, 5 Teal, 16 Canada Goose, 2 Pied Wagtail, 15 Goldfinch and 5 Grey Partridge.

Pied Wagtail

Canada Goose

The sharp eyed will have noted the report lacks Goldeneye on the pool. Worry not; it was at Glasson Dock hiding amongst 16 Tufted Duck and 40+ Coot. One Grey Heron in the usual location at the boating jetty.

A quiet couple of hours for Another Bird Blog and pretty hard finding the birds again. Log in soon for better times. 

Linking today to Camera Critters  and   Annni's Blog.

16 comments:

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

That first Lapwing really pops in the enlarged view! Glad i don't have to put up with mischievous cows.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Phil Lovely shot of the Lapwing and the Sandpiper. although you may not have seen as many birds today, it is always lovely to be out and about.

Carole M. said...

so you had company at the hide Phil. Interesting your lapwings look very stylish and I enjoyed being able to also hear their call

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos of the lapwing. I saw some in Porvoo too, but they were too far away and I didn't get any decent shots.

grammie g said...

Hey Phil... Well I hope your wife doesn't find out about the other women that meets up with you, and a vandalist women at that !! ; ))

In the last couple of days I have noticed the presence of more birds around the house!! I guess they get all involved in family life, and disappear, now they are reappearing!!
I am sure you have an answer for that!!: }

I have sudden attacks of panic to, and they are dreadful, and it is a good thing I don't sound that alarm, and rise up and fly around the neighbors houses to land back home!!
I probably would not last long here!! lol!!

Well it seem you had a decent few hours with Daisy, I'm sure she could scare up a few of those birds!!

I'm hear, so you still have a friend
in Maine "the way life should be" !!

Amazing Grace

Chris said...

beautiful post Phil... Love the lapwing shots and your header is a must... Lovely...

Christian Perrin said...

A "dread" - I'll have to remember that! It's certainly behaviour that I've noticed before in waders, and now I have an apt name for it. Thanks!

eileeninmd said...

Phil, Great series and variety of birds. My favorite is the Lapwing. And I love the geese in flight shot. Betsy is really cute too. Looks like a great outing, happy birding!

Rohrerbot said...

I love those lapwings! The call is quite unusual as well. As for scratching a living yeah that's what I'm doing right now :-)

carol l mckenna said...

Love Daisy and your bird photos are awesome ~ it makes me want to take up 'birding' ~ carol, xo

Jenn Jilks said...

Such a fancy dancy bird! I love it!
I've been frogging, myself
http://mymuskoka.blogspot.ca/2013/08/geraldine-bullfrog-and-her-buddy-in-pond.html

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

beautiful shots, and Daisy wanted in on it too!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

The Lapwing is a handsome looking bird and it was nice of you to share the call of it.

TexWisGirl said...

daisy is sweet! and the lapwing is very handsome!

Joanne Olivieri said...

Great shots. I love Daisy and the sandpiper. Impressive Canadian geese shots. Well done

Wally Jones said...

Even your "slow" days are good days!
I'm desperately trying to learn to identify shorebirds. This changing of plumage thing is of no help, either!
Hope Santa Claus stuffs my stocking with a scope!

Wonderful Lapwing photographs!

Related Posts with Thumbnails