Saturday, June 29, 2013

Similar Summer

“Summer” continued in the same cloudy, cool and breezy vein at Conder Green this morning. So no surprises when after a couple of hours of due diligence my notebook entries almost mirrored those of recent days.

There was an extra Common Sandpiper today, two birds flicking low over the creek as I arrived to a  water level which filled the channel. The high water level kept the Redshanks away so my count didn't exceed 30 birds, likewise the Oystercatchers count of 16 which included two chicks. A flock of 40+ Lapwing came off the filling marsh to roost towards the back of the pool as 12/15 Curlews headed more inland while 2 Grey Heron stayed overlooking the creek.

Wildfowl numbers were low today with the single Goldeneye, 9 Tufted Duck and 12 Shelduck completing the count.

Shelduck

The long and dense hawthorn hedge provided action in the shape of approximately 20 Sand Martin, 12 Swallow, 15 House Martin and 20 Swift hawking for insects again.

The same hedgerow supplied the passerines too - 4 Tree Sparrow, 2 Reed Bunting, 2 Chaffinch, 6 Goldfinch, 4 Greenfinch, 2 Linnet and 2 Pied Wagtails, the wagtails feeding in roadside puddles below the hedge.

Juvenile Goldfinch

After remarking a couple of days ago upon the scarcity of Stock Doves at Conder Green today I noted three of them feeding quietly alongside the road; later I was to see one in our garden where the timid species is an now an uncommon but previously impossible species to expect. Perhaps like their larger relative the Wood Pigeon the inconspicuous and overlooked Stock Dove will become a common garden bird? Here's a handful of a woodpig I caught earlier in the week.

Woodpigeon

A quick scoot around Jeremy Lane and Hillam Lane revealed 30+ Sand Martin, 12 Tree Sparrow, 1 Kestrel and 8/10 Skylarks. It was a pretty unpleasant morning for Flaming June and far from ideal for birding so I cut my losses and headed home to try again another day, hopefully tomorrow.

Skylark

Look in Sunday and see if things improved for Another Bird Blog.

Linking this week to Stewart's GalleryWeekly Top ShotAnni's Blog and  Camera Critters.

27 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Another great outing, Phil! The Shelduck is beautiful. And the Goldfinch juvie is cute! And I love the Skylark! Great photos! Happy Birding!

Unknown said...


I guess someone forgot to mention to you that the whole 'ban this' thing stopped being funny months ago. Now it's just a sign you can't think up anything intelligent to add to the conversation.

RNSANE said...

Beautiful photographs. I am visiting Mumbai, India for six months and, from my 7th floor, there are dozens of crows and kites. I've gotten some good shots but I'm hoping for some beautiful, colorful birds.

My Camera Critters is at:

http://rnsane.blogspot.in/2013/06/camera-critters-273-cat-nap-june-29-2013.html

Hootin Anni said...

My oh my....and around here, our summers are nearly devoid of much bird life except for white winged doves, sparrows, and grackles. Just look at you!!!---your list of sightings is astounding. I love the juvenile finch. And the Shelduck's beak is so bright and contrasting...making for a beautiful bird!

Too hot for me to be out counting birds tho...it's gonna be in the triple digits by noon today.

Happy weekend...
Hootin' Anni AND Anni @ I'd Rather B Birdin'.

Phil Slade said...

Rashed - I think you posted a comment on the wrong website unless you can read words I am not able to see. Best wishes - Phil

Everyone else - Thank you for your sensible comments.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI PhilWell I think you actually sawquite a number of good birds considering the bad weather. Loved the young Goldfinch andlovelyshot of the Sklark. Have a great weekend. Margaret

Rajesh said...

Beautiful birds. I love that Juvenile Goldfinch.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow ~ Wonderful macro shots of nature's gems ~ Beautiful birds ~ Happy Day ^_^

Rohrerbot said...

This looks like a very good outing indeed! I've never heard of a Shelduck before! Wow!

Findlay Wilde said...

It must be great to see those Tree Sparrows. We don;t have many round here. From Findlay

Isidro Ortiz said...

Bonitas capturas Phil,el Tarro blanco es precioso.Un abrazo

Unknown said...

Wonderful birds. I love the skylark.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Some great photos of the birds you saw on your outing.

Unknown said...

Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

EG CameraGirl said...

Love your photos and hope the sun shines on you soon!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful bird photos!

betty-NZ said...

What a great variety of birds in this post! The colors are really bright and cheerful.

Stuart Price said...

Shelduck are pretty scarce in japan and almost unknown up my way............

Summer is quiet here too........

FAB said...

I think Shelduck would be a patch lifer for me ... strange to think as it's quite common elsewhere.

Brian King said...

Love the Shelduck! Your pigeon portrait is beautiful!

FOREST SNAPPER said...

that looks a mean looking bird.

mick said...

Interesting counts and beautiful birds. The Shelduck is especially handsome!

Karen said...

Great shots, that pigeon looks very grumpy!

prairiebirder said...

Lovely photos, the Common Sandpiper is a very pretty bird!

Stewart M said...

The wood pig looks like it has evil on its mind!!

Nice pictures.

Thanks for linking to WBW.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

You actually did very well despite the slow start. That Shelduck is beautiful! I'm experiencing the summer doldrums right now.

Patti said...

What interesting birds!

Related Posts with Thumbnails