Friday, June 7, 2013

I Can See Clearly Now

I just had to go birding today when a parcel arrived by courier post and I welcomed the return of a pair of old friends I hadn't seen for more than two weeks. The good people at Zeiss returned my binoculars after I sent them for repair. The poor old bins led a neglected existence for many years - out in all weathers, sand and salt blown, thrown into the car or a shoulder bag and without complaint trailed through the hotspots of Europe and coldspots of the Fylde. Finally although the optics were perfect the body needed some expert attention and a spot of TLC so I packed them off to Zeiss hoping the trusty bins were not beyond rescue and that Zeiss wouldn't castigate me for treating their products so abysmally. In the meantime I was forced to use a spare pair of newer but cheaper and therefore inferior binoculars, wishing all the time I could have my old 10x42s back, and now I have. 

Thank you Zeiss for doing a brilliant job. In this day and age it is refreshing to receive such wonderful old-fashioned customer service. 

Zeiss Bins

And so armed with a new pair of eyes I set off for Pilling shore. Driving with the window down this sunny week I've noted a few Lesser Whitethroats around, their scratchy warm up and rattling song standing out from the usual hedgerow melodies of Dunnock, Whitethroat and Chaffinch. This morning there were two male lessers singing at Fluke Hall, one at the Wheel Lane junction and a second one at the hall itself. Click on the xeno-canto button to hear the Lesser Whitethroat sing.

Lesser Whitethroat - courtesy of Alpo Roikola 



Also here at Fluke, a singing Blackcap, a Common Whitethroat, 2 Greenfinch and 2 Great-spotted Woodpeckers. Greenfinches are now so scarce that I make a note whenever I see or hear them.  

Greenfinch

Still 2 Reed Warblers singing at Lane Ends together with the less vocal and intermittent Sedge Warbler. Lane Ends to Pilling Water produced 1 Stock Dove, 1 Corn Bunting, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Linnet, 4 Goldfinch, 45 Shelduck, 40 Lapwing and out towards the tide line, a Greenshank and a male Eider duck. It's hard to say whether the Greenshank could be a late spring migrant or a June returnee.

There was also another “croucher”, a good sized Lapwing chick. But there was but no sign of any Oystercatcher young and the tide too low to bring Redshank young scampering from the ditches and towards the shore.

"Spot The Lapwing"

Lapwing

Lapwing

Please visit Another Bird Blog soon for more bird news and often visionary stuff. In the meantime take a look at Anni's blog or   Camera Critters for more birds.

14 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Any reason to go birding is a good reason:) Have fun with your new sight:) I still have yet to find binos that work for me. I am blind in one eye and it gives me a headache looking through them. I close the bad eye and use my camera as my binoculars. Strange but true.

eileeninmd said...

Phil, I am glad your trusty binocs were rescued! Pretty shots of the Lapwing and Greenfinch! Happy birding!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

abysmally...that is a new word that I need to look up the meaning to...I like that...always learning something new...every day from one source, or another. Lapwings...love those Lapwings and the baby crouching in the grass, looks large. Happy weekend Phil!

grammie g said...

Hey Phil...I just had that feeling today that someone was watching me,and now I know why!! You got those good as new ,oldie but goody's binoculars back ; )!!
Harassing those baby birds again to aren't you!!
Keep counting them birdie's!!
Grace

Kay L. Davies said...

Congratulations on receiving such excellent service, but especially on having your eyes back!
I'll be that little fella is still confused about why you picked him up from his camouflage crouch and snapped a bit of metal on his leg. Tsk.
K

TexWisGirl said...

pretty white throat!

laughing at grammie g's comment. you stalker, you.

HansHB said...

Great photos, as always!
Well done!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got your eyes back. Happy birding!

Unknown said...

Those Lapwings are great!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Russell Jenkins said...

I know other birders who have life long love affairs with their Zeiss binocs. I've just got a new Zeiss UV filter for my new lens but it's build is the best I've had. I know that's boring but now I want to have more Zeiss thingys. Been comparing 25/2.8 and 25/2 wide angle lenses all year, so I have Zeiss I wants badly. Your pictures are superb as usual. Enjoying the lapwing pics.

Anni said...

I always enjoy seeing the babies this time of year....cool.
Great set of bins you got there Phil!! Just make sure we don't read about any Peeping Phils in your neighborhood or we may have to make a few confessions to authorities. [kidding of course]

Unknown said...

Interesante entrada Phil. Me han gustado mucho las fotos, en especial el pollo de avefría y el sonido del ave.
Un abrazo! !

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

I had a similar experience with my 20+ year old B&L Elite binocs. The grip cover had come loose and I sent it back to Bushnell under the lifetime warranty. They came back all cleaned up and looking like new. I see they no longer offer the lifetime warranty but I'm glad they honored mine.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love those lapwings..here and in the later post above. Great testimony on the binocs. I can believe they do get some hard treatment as much as you are out and about with them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails