Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It’s Persecution.

In Scotland the authorities recognise that those who persecute birds of prey frequently do so at the direction of their employers or others with vested interests, and so introduced an offence of vicarious liability, the purpose of which is to bring those parties to justice.

A petition (link below) calls on the UK Government to introduce an offence of vicarious liability to bring to justice those who direct or turn a blind eye to raptor persecution in England.

As an indication of how bad thing are, in the last year only four pairs of Hen Harriers successfully reared chicks in England, fourteen Peregrine Falcon territories failed on grouse moors in the Lancashire Forest of Bowland, and only one successful Goshawk nest was recorded in the Derwent Valley, Derbyshire. Current legislation is not enough to deter those who break the law and destroy our heritage; the introduction of vicarious liability would hit those directing the slaughter.

Sign the petition here

Hen Harrier

I didn’t get out today, but acquired this shot of a Sparrowhawk in the back garden. It didn’t appear too well, maybe it has been in the Forest of Bowland.

Sparrowhawk

14 comments:

Stuart Price said...

I signed the petition Phil........

Unknown said...

Me, too. There used to be 4 pairs of Gos in the Peak when I lived there in the 'sixties (and I knew where all of them were)

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

Sad to hear such stories about how many raptors' nests failed. Anyway, the last shot of the sparrowhawk is just stunning and you just took it in your backyard. That's quite amazing since sparrowhawks are so difficult to get close around here.

Millhouse Photography said...

Me too, signed. In fact, I did it the other day, but thank you for the coverage of this issue.

I agree on the hawk - it doesn't look to well at all - fluffed up plumage. Trichomonisis? ( I can't spell it, or be bothered checking the spelling!)

Paco Sales said...

Es bueno que las autoridades tomen parte en el asunto para intentar proteger al máximo estas aves para que no se extingan, espero que se pueda conseguir. Un abrazo Phil

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Wow Phil, I had learned that things were looking bleak for your raptors, but this news is just terrible. Can someone in KY sign the petiton to help your cause over there, or not? If so, I shall do it. You know how much I adore and have respect of Raptors. Over here they are protected by the federal government and yet...people do kill them. Hoping that something can be accomplished to help the survival of these beneficial and beautiful/handsome birds~
Your Sparrowhawk is really lovely...

Phil Slade said...

Hi everryone and thanks for signing up. Mary, and anyone else overseas, i don't see why you can't sign the petition. it may help the campaign if our MPs see that people all over the world support the idea of vicarious liability.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Hi Phil~

I got ready to sign the petitn and had filled out first part when this popped up...

You must be a British citizen or normally live in the UK to create or sign e-petitions.

Sorry, I tried!

Pete Woodruff said...

An excellent 'straight to the point' post Phil, the subject of which should form as great a part of any birders interest in birds as any other aspect of it.

eileeninmd said...

Great post, I hope the petition works. Love the hawk shots.

Russell Jenkins said...

Yeah, I tried to sign it too but I'm not a Brit. Too bad, I'm an Aussie. I'm sure I'd let you guys sign my petitions... I can send you many. Wonderful photos of the two precious birds you've included. I hope society there can evolve a little from the days of the fish eagle extinctions etc. Good work Phil. It is in my mind for life.

Ornitocampero.blogspot.com.es said...

Well donde, is not only taking pics is also about conservation issues!
Saludos.

JWBateman said...

Hi Phil: Thanks for drawing attention to this,I have signed .Best Wishes JWB.

Blue Hill Escape said...

Hi Phil, I worked for RSPB for a bit and saw the persecution going on - a nest we were monitoring never made it, buzzards shot and buried in rabbit holes, poisoning, the list goes on. One way of doing something about it as a lay person is just to walk the estates and look for evidence of persecution - but just being a presence really helps too. Best of luck. Alan

Related Posts with Thumbnails