Monday, November 13, 2023

Some Things Never Change

It’s not just me. Studying the latest news on local web sites it is clear that most birders are struggling with the weather in being able to get outdoors for even a spot of birding, never mind ringing.  Apologies for the lack of posts in recent days and for the next week or so as Storm Debi is the latest Atlantic arrival to batter our lives. 

I raided the archives and found memories of warmer, drier days gone by in The Middle East and Egypt where politics and/or religion are often a cause of trouble.

After arriving in Egypt to tanks on street corners the holiday was uneventful but totally relaxing. Late on Friday November 8 2011 we arrived in Manchester safe and sound from Hurghada and The Red Sea, many miles from the shock waves still emanating from Cairo and other Egyptian cities. 

Sue and I had healthy tans from a wonderful holiday, and after two weeks of unbroken 28 degrees, together with staving off Pharaoh’s Revenge, we felt pretty relaxed about Egypt. Most other Europeans went home with tails between their legs at the first sign of trouble, and left mainly German and UK nationals remaining. By our second week, the early mornings saw a halt to  hostilities in the “Towels on Sunbeds War” and where available sunbeds on our deserted beach easily outnumbered potential occupants by five to one.

These unexpected plusses neatly allowed me to head off for a little local birding in the by now extremely quiet but lush, well-watered, green resort of Makadi Bay where Bougainvillea clad buildings greet at every turn. I quickly established a couple of miles local patch that comprised boating wharfs, the beach and numerous garden areas of the many four and five star hotels. 

The locals tell you that Egypt is 95% sand, where the Red Sea resorts are built on strips of land bounded by sandy shores on one side and desert sand on the other, Hurghada being no exception to that rule. That rather limits the birding unless car hire is taken, but that wasn’t on the agenda in strife torn Egypt. I found plenty of birding and photographic opportunities with morning and afternoon forays and gentle strolls around the beautiful bay.

Here is a flavour of the birds I saw in Egypt, and in the next week or two I hope to post more pictures after first catching up with blogging friends everywhere, news from my local patch here in the UK and get in an overdue ringing session.

Common and numerous everywhere in Makadi Bay are Bluethroats, wintering birds from the several races of Europe.

Makadi Bay

Bluethroat

I found lots of ground-hugging Red-throated Pipits skulking about the quiet grassy areas where Cattle Egrets also fed as Kestrels and an Egyptian soldier kept a look-out.

Red-throated Pipit

Red-throated Pipit

Kestrel

Cattle Egret

Bougainvillea

Egyptian Soldier

The beach and the shore held Western Reef Herons and an occasional Striated Heron, crepuscular in their habits.

Sunrise, Makadi Bay

Striated Heron

Western Reef Heron

Stay tuned folks. Storm Debi can't last forever can she?

Another Bird Blog is back soon.

11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I hope you weather has calmed down now. We have some days where it is too windy or rainy for a bird outing. Great photos from your archives, the birds are beautiful. I especially love the Bluethroat. Take care, have a wonderful week!

NCSue said...

Gosh, Phil, I absolutely LOVE the bluethroat. I wish we had them here!
Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/11/my-happy-places.html

Rhodesia said...

I am delighted that you had a good holiday. I have only been to Egypt once and it was literally a flying stopover. Nigel was working in the UK in 2001 and I was still in SA. I flew over for a long weekend and the only flight I could get was with Egyptair with a long stopover in Cairo. I wanted to rest but was informed that I had been booked on a tour. I have never been so terrified in a vehicle in my life, the driving is atrocious, I did get to see the Spinx and a pyramid though, and I somehow survived though my nerves were shot! Also, everyone, including the staff, were puffing away at cigarettes on the plane, I hope things have changed a bit in the last 20 or so years.
Keep well, cheers Diane

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Phil that Bluethroat is gorgeous. I love its markings. Sorry the weather has been getting in the way. Sending good thoughts for better weather for you.

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

I love birdlife

magiceye said...

Beautiful captures!

Linda said...

My, the Bluethroat is stunning!

Veronica Lee said...

I enjoyed seeing the birds from your archives, Phil.
The bluethroat is my favourite.

Happy Wednesday!

Wally Jones said...

Visiting new places can be challenging, exciting, potentially dangerous and, ultimately, invigorating.

Events aligned to provide you with a unique experience. It's fascinating to find birds we don't otherwise have a chance to observe. It's also comforting to see "old friends" such as a Kestrel or Cattle Egret.

We certainly hope your weather calms down so you can get back out there and report on what's happening this migration season.

Gini and I are still playing hide and seek with doctors but they keep finding us. Despite that, we are managing a few outings which help us to maintain what little sanity we have left.

We wish you all the best.

The Padre said...

Fly On And Stay Strong Brother Man - Hate To Share The News But The Old Mighty Colorado Is So Dang Warm That The Fish Are Dying Off - Sad State Affairs For The Wildlife As A Whole

Dig The Photos ,
Cheers

Lowcarb team member said...

Like many others I'm also going to comment on the Bluethroat, it looks wonderful.

All the best Jan

Related Posts with Thumbnails