Thursday, February 23, 2023

Back In The Groove

Did you ever Dear Reader, take a few days out of normal routine to do a spot of DIY? Like painting a room or tidying the garden in readiness for the burgeoning Spring? And did it ever become more expensive, complicated and fraught than you imagined? I know the answer - “Yes”. 

That’s my excuse for not being around to post just lately. Our lounge needed a freshen up whereby the anticipated few days of splashing paint turned into a week or more of hard graft, not least in searching the Internet for rugs, pictures, a smaller TV plus other odds and ends that I didn’t know we needed. 

Now we are almost there, just waiting for an Amazon ceramic vase together with a rosewood display stand via LiChongShan. Then maybe Sue and I will finish the job. 

So on Thursday morning after a promise to check the parcel tracking and with a 9/10 for effort under my belt I motored up to Oakenclough. Here in the Great Outdoors I met up with Andy and Will at 0700 for the long awaited ringing session. It had been two weeks and more. 

The morning was cold with a slight frost and clear skies. Initially we noted a few Chaffinches on the move and a couple of small groups of Siskins. Will lives fairly close by where his regular top ups of the feeders have ensured that some birds, mostly Goldfinches, stayed around through the many wet and wild periods of October to February. 

It came as no surprise when today’s catch of 26 birds showed Goldfinches as the most numerous species of 15 Goldfinch, 5 Long-tailed Tit, 1 Coal Tit, 1 Blue Tit, 1 Chaffinch, 1 Wren, 1 Siskin, 1 Treecreeper. More surprising was just the single Chaffinch in the catch. 

 It was good to meet up with Siskins again, if only the one in the hand. The Siskin is a periodic irruptive species that has been rather scarce in our part of Lancashire this winter, with very few mentions on local forums. Sightings will surely increase very soon when the species migrates from its central and south easterly concentrations towards its Scottish breeding strongholds. The one below is an adult male. 
 
Siskin
  
Chaffinch

Coal Tit

Goldfinch

Here’s a little joke that will ring a few bells for most birders! 


Back soon. I just need to keep watch for the delivery van. 

Linking this weekend to Eileen's Blog and Anni in Texas.

 

13 comments:

Breathtaking said...

Hello Phil :=)
Oh my goodness you have been busy. These refurbishing jobs do take longer than one expects, but rewarding when it's all done, and I'll bet it looks lovely now. I hope your purchases have arrived by now completing your home improvements. It's funny how we discover we are in need of stuff we never knew we needed.:=)

Lovely bird images. Thank goodness for feeders, which help many a bird to stay alive through harsh winters. The Goldfinch is a beautiful bird, one I would love to see at my feeders but alas I have only seen them in the south of Portugal.

Happy birding Phil.
All the best.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Great comeback after the brief but expensive distraction. Home improvement purchases are a constant thing here. I prefer Ikea as most of their products are compact and well designed. Lovely bird closeups! The joke is so true :).

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I do not like painting, I like the DIY projects when they are finished. Beautiful birds, awesome closeup photos. A couple of my favorites are the Siskins and Goldfinch. I love the last funny, it is happened to me many times.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

Wally Jones said...

Welcome back. You were missed.

It seems your ringing session was perfect after your hiatus. Not too many birds so you weren't overwhelmed. You found more than zero birds which signals a successful outing. To quote that famous bear hunter, Goldilocks: "Mmmm, just right!".

That's interesting about the cyclic nature of the Siskins. Great header image. Could be my poor eyesight, but there seems to be a hint of green in front of the eye. Breeding season?

As far as all that DIY is concerned. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again. I am reminded of the movie "The Money Pit".

Gini and I are disgustingly healthy and have eschewed home remodeling for chasing birds and bugs and spring blooms. We both hope your new week will be spectacular!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's so great to get those updates made and you will enjoy the work you did! Nice to be able to get out in nature too though. I've been in a 'clean it out' kind of mood and have to work while I'm in that mood! lol Love the cartoon. Very true!

Anni said...

And here I figured you two were traveling! How wrong can one be!?!!

Your ringing and taking a day to work with others (and birds) was fruitful once again.

And that joke... I can relate.

This was a great outing.
Thanks for taking us at I'd Rather B Birdin' along with you.

Angie said...

Phil - what a special hubby you are! I think we have all had projects like that! Makes us appreciate our true passions all the more, when we can get to them! Nice bird shots!

NCSue said...

Your coal tit looks much like our chickadee. I wonder if they're related?
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/02/some-rural-memories_0978938360.html

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

We all need to freshen up rooms occasionally. I know you'll enjoy the finished space. I enjoyed seeing your little feathered friends. They are always so interesting and expressive in your fingers.

Rostrose said...

The answer is actually "Yes!", dear Phil - apologies accepted ;-) Luckily you've almost made it and were able to take care of the bird world again. I really enjoy your beautiful bird photos. And hmmm, the joke, strictly speaking, it's not a joke ;-DD
All the best and have a nice week!
❤️ Traude❤️
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/02/costa-rica-7-kapitel-tortuguero.html

Veronica Lee said...

You have been missed, Phil.

LOL @ the joke.

Loving your bird photos as always.

Poseidon Home Remodel Services said...


I was doing research for my project and it was really difficult to find the information regarding my topic and then i visited this web site and it answered all my questions its really amazing
Poseidon San Diego
Kitchen Remodel
Bathroom Remodel

Lowcarb team member said...

So often DIY projects take longer than originally thought, but so nice when it's all done and sorted. Hope the delivery van turned up okay!

Lovely to see the birds and I did laugh at the cartoon.

Take care.

All the best Jan

Related Posts with Thumbnails