Friday, February 4, 2022

A Linnet Record But No Ringing

Months had passed since my last Barn Owl; maybe I’m not getting out enough or hitting the wrong spots? The lack of sightings was rectified on Friday by an encounter out Stalmine way as I drove across the elevated moss road towards Out Rawcliffe and a farm I know. 

Barn Owl 
 
There was some noise and activity from small birds, Tree Sparrows and Chaffinches, and a Blackbird alarm call as a Sparrowhawk shot through the jumble of buildings and out the other side. It’s impossible not to admire how Sparrowhawks hunt by the element of surprise, taking small birds in an instant with their gangling legs and razor sharp talons. During the catching and ringing of a Sparrowhawk it’s essential to know how quickly the hawk can pierce fingers. 

Sparrowhawk
 
Although the weather has been mainly wet and cold we’ve had very few frosts so it’s good to see the sheep bang on cue with their first lambs, the one below just a day or two old. 

Spring Lamb

I drove towards Pilling and Cockerham to mainly check out the set-aside ringing station that’s out of action for ringing purposes but not for additional feeding. There are still lots of birds and even an increase in the usual pack of Linnets today with three separate flocks totalling in excess of 450, a record count for this winter. I scattered another bucketful of seed in the net rides and left the birds to pick the winners.  

There has been snow in the hills not far away and also in Scotland, both of which provide numbers of our wintering Linnets here on the relatively warmer Gulf-streamed coast. If only we could have ringed a more Linnets in the last two months; for sure many will be back to Scotland very soon. 

I noted the usual Kestrel, 20 or more Chaffinches, Greenfinches and also a couple of fence hopping Meadow Pipits. Meadow Pipits have been absent of late but this too is a species subject to moving south and west during colder weather. In just three to four weeks the longer distance migrants will pass through as they head back to the uplands and their breeding areas. 

Kestrel

Meadow Pipit

I stopped to chat to a couple of wildfowlers, the chaps incredulous that our ringing is still not allowed while their own pastime is unaffected by the same 10km control zone. One told of an hour or more before seeing on the marsh a Shelduck in distress that he could have reached but did not want to handle for fear of Avian Flu.  Neither would he be allowed to put the duck out of its possible misery. He'd also seen a Marsh Harrier, possibly two, out on Pilling Marsh. 

I have no problem with wildfowlers and their pastime. Wildfowling is an ancient feature of the countryside, one that arose long before the relatively modern sports of bird watching or twitching. Almost without exception I find wildfowlers are knowledgeable about birds simply because many are involved in active habitat conservation and improvement. 

As regular readers will know from this blog and other reading, there is a real distinction between “wildfowlers” and “shooters”. My opposition to the rearing of millions of wildfowl and game birds for driven shoots and its effect on the countryside features here on a regular basis; some might say too often! 

I drove up to Cockerham and a pootle around the lanes where the well scattered winter swans remain the major attraction pending springtime. Twelve Bewick’s Swans, over 300 Whooper Swans and uncounted Mutes are still impressive even though after spending four months in the same fields they keep a distance from birders in cars and birders out of cars. 

Whoopers and Mute
 
I stopped at Gulf Lane and the other seed plot - another 80+ Linnets. Blimey! 

And I am still waiting for a reply to the request for an exemption to local restrictions so as to catch and ring a Red-listed, declining species of farmland bird.

Linking today with Eileen's Blogspot and Anni in Texas.

 N

18 comments:

Mike Attwood said...

Thats not good news on the ringing Phil. I'll send a couple of my badgers up to put a bit of pressure on the authorities. Good luck and take care.
Mike.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Your bird flu scare is prolonging like the covid virus scare. Love the Barn Owl shot. The Sparrowhawk has developed great features for hunting.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Phil,:=) As always your narrative was enlightening and your photos delightful. The ringer holding the Sparrowhawk was brave to handle a raptor with such lethal looking claws.
After seeing them myself at close range inside my house I admire his courage, which I know comes from experience, but even so!.Lovely shot of the Kestrel, Barn Owl, sheep with baby lamb, and swans. I hope the restrictions on bird ringing is lifted soon.
All the best.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Phil,

I hope the ringing restrictions are lifted soon. Love the Barn owl photos. The little lamb is adorable. Great shots of the Sparrowhawk, Kestrel and the Meadow Pipit. The swans are beautiful, great sightings. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The little lamb is so adorable and of course I love that Barn Owl. I love owls...you already know that...and they are so rare to see around here. The Swans are gorgeous and a pootle around the lanes sounds like my speed! Happy weekend, Diane

Mae Travels said...

Our birds here in Michigan are also in danger of an outbreak of avian flu. We are told to keep feeders extra clean. I havn't read much about it, so I don't know the details.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Yvonne said...

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to see the birds that need to be ringed, and have your hands tied behind your back. I'm enjoying all your photos very much. The presents of birds always brings great joy to my heart.

Jean said...

Sorry you are still dealing with restrictions. Enjoyed reading your post and seeing all the wonderful photos.

Lowcarb team member said...

So lovely to see the barn owl and the lamb is cute.
Love the Whoopers and Mute swans too.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

Love the little lamb!

Breathtaking said...

Good morning Phil, Thank you for letting me know about my link not showing. I don't know why, or even how to fix this, but now I know I'll try to find a way.

Hootin Anni said...

Thanks for sharing this week at I'd Rather B Birdin'!

First that lamb is so adorable!! And all your birds are terrific. That owl in flight is one blue ribbon winner!!

Rhodesia said...

Some great sightings, well done. It is years since I saw a Barn Owl, I wish they would reappear here. Keep warm and safe, cheers Diane

Wally Jones said...

Phil had a little lamb,
It's fleece was white as snow.
Everywhere that Phil went,
The lamb was sure to go.
It followed him a'ringing one day,
It was against the rules.
Alas, no birds to be caught just yet,
All thanks to bureaucratic fools.

Fear not! Your description of birding near winter's end simply portends Spring is waiting nearby!

We continue, as you, to head out when we can not knowing what to expect. Some days are better than others, but each day is a new adventure.

Gini and I had a great space coast outing. I may write about it one day soon.

All the best.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

NCSue said...

Great shots as always.
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/02/alter-egos.html

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Marvelous photos, they're wonderful

Fun60 said...

Enjoyed the photos of the barn owl and the lamb. I haven't seen any new norms yet.

Related Posts with Thumbnails