Saturday, November 17, 2018

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

Oh dear, the blog stats don’t look too good today after a week without a post. But Blogger tells me that “Page View All Time History” passed the one million mark at 1,008,401 from 1428 posts since August 2009, so all is not lost. Someone deserves a medal, probably faithful readers, a number of whom have followed the blog from day one. 

Migration time is pretty much finished here in Lancashire so unless something extraordinary takes place, for the next month or two it’s winter birds until the days lengthen in February and March. Birders forever wish their lives away to hurry along the next season and all that it brings, but somehow, winter seems to be the least favourite month for many birders. Or maybe even summer for those who take little interest in the breeding season? 

Saturday morning, and although there was a biting wind from the east a spot of welcome sunshine held out possibilities for a picture or two. I hit the lanes of Moss and Jeremy early, hoping for a few pictures of thrushes while the hawthorn berries are almost into their last days. Our winter thrushes consume the haw berry in huge quantities and if the weather turns very cold the hedgerows will very soon be stripped entirely of their already low yield of our dry summer. 

I found about 40 Fieldfares along the exact same stretch of road as a week ago, a handful of Redwings and the same of Blackbirds. Suddenly this week there are more Blackbirds around, even in our modest garden, as Blackbirds from Europe and Scandinavia move into the relative warmth of the UK. 

Fieldfare 

Fieldfare 

Fieldfare 

Blackbird 

It was watch and wait as passing cars sent the shy thrushes back and forth to escape the danger they sensed. While our garden Blackbirds can become used to humans, even in many cases, persuaded to trust us, the Blackbirds that live out in the sticks are as retiring as the very wary Redwing or reclusive Song Thrush.  If anything the larger Fieldfare is bolder than any and does occasionally let someone take a photograph. 

Redwing 

Redwing 

Blackbird 

The two Buzzards of a week ago were in the exact same spot, using a vantage tree to good effect in locating food in the adjacent field. 

I looked at Conder Green where following recent excavations and management, birds are beginning to return. Although returnees seemed to be mainly gulls I was in time to see a Great White Egret fly across towards the canal and to then count a raft of about 65 Wigeon against the far bank. Just recently a Great White has been seen at both nearby Aldcliffe and Cockersands, so possibly the same bird. 

Great Egret

Also here at the pool and in the creeks - a single Kestrel, 140 Teal, 22 Redshank, 8 Oystercatcher, 6 Curlew, 3 Little Grebe, 2 Little Egret and 1 Snipe. 

Redshank 

Redshank 

Oystercatcher

Excuse me now, I have to go to the shops and buy the Saturday night Lottery ticket. You just never know.

Linking this post to Anni's Birding Blog.



16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

LOL, good luck with your lottery ticket. The Fieldfare is a handsome bird.
I have always like the Redshank and the Oystercatcher is a favorite too. I am seeing more of my winter birds now which is good. Enjoy your weekend and happy birding.

Rhodesia said...

Good luck, we buy religiously but nothing much happens!

I want to see a Fieldfare they are interesting birds that until your last post I had never heard of.

BTW the partridge is still around and was up on our verandah today, it pretty much ignores me if I go outside 😊

Have a good Sunday. Diane

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done on passing the one million page views mark on your blog.

As always it was good to read your post and see your photographs. The birds colourings are lovely (as is the blue sky) and they certainly like the red berries,

Enjoy your weekend - you may be a millionaire by now!

All the best Jan

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Congrats on passing 1 million point. Well done. Must look at mind sometime. Love seeing the Firldfare and Redwing. stil have not seen any this year yet.

Louise Watson said...

Congratulations on your million! Hope that maybe pounds and views by now. I always enjoy your news and amazing photos, so please keep posting. (Even when you can drink champagne from the vacuum flask whilst birding rather than tea!)

Anni said...

I will accept the August millionaire prize! I can buy my dream home. (jk)

Some great winter birds seen. I really like the 3rd from the top portrait!! And ... Thanks so much for linking in & sharing with us at I'd Rather B Birdin" this week.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It reflects a job well done, Phil, that you have surpassed a million views. Yours is a high quality blog, and that no doubt is the reason for all the hits. You have displayed time and again that rare ability to both entertain and inform, thereby garnering a dedicated following, among whom I include myself. It is one of the astonishing features of the internet that we can connect with, influence, and, yes, educate, disparate people who we could never have previously met. Congratulations. Keep on doing what you do. I for one will be looking forward to the next instalment on what is measurably more than just Another Bird Blog.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Congratulations on the million-mark and looking forward to many more bird posts.

Fun60 said...

Congratulations on passing the million mark. I feel I don't have to be an avid bird watcher to enjoy your blog.

Hootin Anni said...

I'm back from your link at our World Tuesday....come join me for a Texas Ranch-style breakfast.

NCSue said...

The oyster catcher and the partridge are so neat to see - we don't have them here.
Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/11/preparing-for-winter.html

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy to be one of the million! Lovely birds -- we should see the oyster catcher or his American relative maybe when we get to Florida soon -- most of the other birds would be a new and wonderful treat. (Well, actually so will be the oystercatcher -- or even the robins which was pretty much all I got a picture of this past week here in Oregon. )

Angie said...

A million views! As a newbie, I can't even imagine! Well done, my friend, and may you be aptly rewarded with a winning Lottery ticket! By the way, the FieldFare is a very handsome specimen!

Lady Fi said...

amazing shots!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Well...my computer didn't blow up and I just said to bypass the Webroot security block and here I am. I have been so concerned about trudging through and then thought all of a sudden big lights would flash and everything would suddenly come to a stop...oh I am just kidding, yet truly that was all weird. I love your Fieldfares and Redwings...sooooo beautiful and your pictures of the Fieldfares are so wonderful. Thank you for the information too~

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done, a million.
It's no wonder, with all your birdies!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails