Saturday, November 17, 2012

What Waxwings?

Everyone is seeing Waxwings at the moment. All except me that is, even though I’ve been looking and listening most days this week and last. The answer could be to go chasing the ones being seen in regular spots miles away but that rather takes the fun, excitement and skill out of finding birds for oneself doesn’t it? No worries, I’ll see a Waxwing or two before the winter’s out, just like last year when I got a few photos near home. 

Bohemian Waxwing

It’s doubtful any Waxwing will be eating out of my hand like they do on Fair Isle. Nice jumper - just the job for winter birding at Knott End. 


I went looking at for Waxwings at Knott End this morning, a little coastal village with a distinct lack of trees bearing red berries, or fruit of any sort really. So I didn’t find any Waxwings, just the similarly shaped Starlings and un-waxwing like Pied Wagtail, Linnet and Goldfinch. The shore does have lots of grey undistinguished, boring waders though: 950 Oystercatcher, 140 Knot, 125 Redshank, 15 Turnstone and 8 Curlew. 

Knot

Turnstone

Couldn’t find any Waxwings out on the moss either, just an early morning movement of 20+ Redwings, 30+ Fieldfares and 4 Lesser Redpoll chattering overhead. Even the nets didn’t turn up a Waxwing, just darned Lottis and Blutis, but a bonus couple of male Reed Buntings. Now there's a real bird in the hand. 

Reed Bunting

Long-tailed Tit

 Another Reed Bunting

There no option really, everyone’s gone Waxwing crazy, so that’s where Another Bird Blog will be on Sunday - looking for Waxwings. Log in later to see more Waxwings or not.

This next week I'm linking to The View From Right Here, and I'd Rather Be Birding so I hope there's some Waxwings.

14 comments:

Isidro Ortiz said...

Bonitas capturas Phil,me gusta mucho el Ampelis.Un abrazo

eileeninmd said...

Phil, I have not seen a Bohemian Waxwing yet. I would love to see one someday. Cool shot of the bunting in the hand. And the Long-tailed Tit is cute. Have a happy Sunday and I am wishing some waxwings for you.

grammie g said...

Hey Phil...go here to see a white waxwing ; ) plus he posted some really odd finds this week to !! http://northernmainebirds.blogspot.com/2012/11/northern-maine-birds-leucistic-albino.html..if this doesn't work go on my sidebar Northern Maine Birds!!
So do you really want to be like the rest of the crowd... I didn't think of you as a groupie ; )..and all this linky stuff!!
Well I think you get to see some really cool birds, like your's today!!
Cute video huh...you could try that! lol
Don't try to call at 8:00 remember the time differences that's your problem Haha!!, and what's with this babe stuff : )
Good luck buddy with that waxwing thing...I won't be looking to hurry over to see !!
Amazing Grace

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Phil... join the small group who have not gotten any Waxwing images yet this season.
Just plain bummed too;')~
I took a few just before dawn one morning...do those count...hoping to see others, but maybe not.
The image shared from last year, sure is lovely though!
Happy week~

Choy Wai Mun said...

Phil, hope you have better luck with the waxwings next time!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I HOPE You find them!!

Ken Schneider said...

Nice birds-- I would live to see a Bohemian Waxwing. That video is a prize!

Anonymous said...

Your day will come, Phil.. nice series of birds here. I especially love the little Long-tailed Tit.

Rohrerbot said...

You are not the only one:) They're here as well and I can't seem to find the darn Waxwings. BUT that will all change once our palm trees start producing fruit. Then they get drunk and fly all over the place. It's funny and dangerous at the same time:)

Anonymous said...

SUCH wonderful bird captures... and they're even on your hand! Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #57!

Unknown said...

Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermi,.on Tiver, Canada.

Anni said...

That long tailed tit is sooooooooo sweet!!! A couple of times in the last 10 years here in the Coastal Bend of Texas, I've seen a whole 2 waxwings. And they were both in my yard, and I with no camera. Go figure.

Russell Jenkins said...

Stunning photos of all the birds, Phil. I've only ever seen one waxwing in my life, back in March, 2009. It was joining sparrows for seed left out for them outside someone's pot plants on a busy street. I should have gone home for my camera but it was a striking enough encounter that I still remember it. Good luck this winter.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Just a wonderful post even without the waxwings! Once I heard from a birding person that waxwings don't ever use the same path two migrations in a row. If true, that would make it more difficult to anticipate where to see them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails