Friday, February 16, 2018

A Photo Or Two

I didn’t get many photos this morning. As each week passes the adult birds and those born last year get older and wiser about birders and keep out of the way of cameras and bins. 

An early morning Barn Owl is pretty much guaranteed at the moment when food is scarce and the owls spend longer on the hunt. So it was this morning as the owl stayed alongside the moss road but hidden by distance and the straggly hedge at eye level. I made do with a Kestrel and then a Buzzard just sat in the opposite field but keeping a wary eye on passing cars. It looked like last year’s bird. 

Buzzard

Along Lancaster Road a farmer was out early taking the tops off and shaping the hedgerow. It rather stopped my looking for finches and much else but the flood at Rawcliffe/Pilling held 4 Fieldfare, 1 Kestrel, 180 Lapwing, 10 Pied Wagtail and 8 Meadow Pipit. At Gulf Lane the Linnet flock is down to about 40 birds, the lowest count of the winter but not surprising given the battering of rain, wind, snow and ice that both birds and vegetation have taken since August. 

Around the moss road produced a couple of calling Buzzards on territory as 5/6 Meadow Pipits scattered ahead of the car. 

Buzzard
 
I called at Conder Green out of habit more than optimism and the chance the Avocets may appear any day. They are already in Lancashire after their winter away. No up-turned bills just the usual 3 pairs of Oystercatcher, 15 Curlew, 12 Redshank and a gang of 10 noisy Shelduck. Spring is definitely in the air with Robins and Skylarks in song although next week we’re back to cold and frosty air. 

Robin

A trip around Jeremy Lane and up to Cockersands produced a healthy if unspectacular mix of species. Best was a mixed flock of Starlings, Fieldfares and Redwings numbering 200/200/6. Redwings are much scarcer than Fieldfares in early spring as if the Fieldfares make a leisurely journey north while the Redwings dash through mostly unseen. 

Near Cockersands was the usual Kestrel, a female Stonechat and some pretty huge flocks of Lapwings and Golden Plovers which numbered in the few thousands of each. Also, 30+ Skylarks, 30+ Redshank, 18 Twite, 13 Pied Wagtail, 8 Meadow Pipit and 6 Tree Sparrow. 

Kestrel
 
Golden Plovers

I saw a three or four Brown Hares this morning. One stopped in a gateway to clean its feet after it ran through a muddy patch of ground. I’ve seen them do that before. 

Brown Hare
 
There’s ringing tomorrow, something of a novelty this winter. But the forecast is half-decent with just a 10mph wind at a partly sheltered site. I’m meeting Andy at 0700. Log in later to see how we did.  

A Saturday link toWild Bird WednesdayAnni's Blog and Eileen's blog.

20 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I alwys love when i comeacross a flock of Golden Plovers especially in the sun. Good to see 2 Raptors in a day. I rarely do. Have a wonderful weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, great sightings and photos. I always enjoy seeing the raptors. The field of Plovers is awesome. I love the sweet Robin. The hare is cute! We have gone from a couple of warm days to possible snow today. Crazy weather.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

Betty J. Crow said...

You had a productive outing. Lots of birds. The robin is beautiful. However, I must say I'm loving the brown hare shot!

sandyland said...

I perk up always when I see that Lapwing fast becoming a favorite

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Nice pics and I love the hare shot.

Angie said...

Having lived in the UK and the US, I must say I prefer the robin in the UK!!!

The hare is HUGE!!! Where does he buy his shoes???

Stuart Price said...

I recall seeing big flocks of Golden Plover in the fields near the Ribble when I started birding and then they disappeared. I'll be visiting the UK next winter. maybe they're back.........

Hootin Anni said...

Wishing you two had a good day ringing! Cute hare!! And the numbers you witnessed with some birds is outstanding...1000s? Oh my. Then...lastly, that robin - you in Europe have the prettiest robins. I'm jealous.

Thanks, Phil, for taking time to stop by I'd Rather B Birdin' and sharing with us.

A Colorful World said...

A bunch of brown hares in your sighting! :-) Lovely shot of the one. Loved the buzzard and kestrel shots and that beautiful European Robin!

Wally Jones said...

Perhaps the harsh winter will give way to a spectacular spring. I hope so. You kept saying there weren't many birds wherever you went but after tallying the dribs and drabs it seems you saw quite a lot!

A Golden Plover would be headline news hereabouts so it was good to see your photo of such a large number. Sorry you missed a pic of the Barn Owl, but to just SEE one would certainly make my day (and month and year).

I hope your ringing was successful and further hope more favorable weather is just around the corner.

Another week is almost here and we hope it brings good things your way!

Jean said...

Your robin is so pretty! Love the hare photo as much as I do the specks of green grass (must be so nice) I see underneath it. Hope you are having a great weekend!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh please bring me that Brown Hare Phil, what a beauty it is. You took a great shot of that beautiful Buzzard and Robins there are always a delight to see. Sounds like your birds are becoming much to wise there.
It's been a rough go here, laying low, sharing happy on FB...first a shooting in KY and then one in FL, heartbreaking news all the time over on this side of the pond. Take good care~

Jenn Jilks said...

Such lovely photos! I've never seen a barn owl. They are few and far between in Ontario.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Great photos - I love the brown hare!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

The birds are all fascinating to see but the brown hare was my favorite! We see smaller rabbits where I live and the one you photographed looked to be big enough to hold his own against the hawks and buzzards!

Fun60 said...

The robin never fails to delight.

NCSue said...

Very nice images - thanks so much for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/02/some-more-from-nasher-museum.html

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Hope your ringing day yesterday (?) was successful. Nice birds on this post -- lots of golden plovers. I did not know hares would be so fastidious.... after all one must not bring those muddy paws into the warren!!

Lady Fi said...

Great shots.

Molly said...

Beautiful shot of the Robin, they are such feisty little birds

Mollyx

Related Posts with Thumbnails