Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Miscellaneous And A Plug

Details came from the BTO of a Lesser Redpoll Y310191 which I caught on Rawcliffe Moss on 19th October 2012. It had been first ringed at Alfrick Pound, near Great Malvern, Worcestershire, 225 days earlier on 8th March 2012. The dates involved point to a spring migration to a spot somewhere north of Rawcliffe Moss and an autumn return to a location south of Worcestershire. 

Lesser Redpoll - Gt Malvern to Out Rawcliffe

The repoll was one of 28 caught at Out Rawcliffe in October, a classic month of Lesser Redpoll migration south. 

On October 20th a day after Y310191, I caught a Belgian ringed Lesser Redpoll, details of which are yet to be notified to me. 

Lesser Redpoll

Talking of the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology), I was reading my BTO News just the other day and I see they are offering the opportunity to become a member until June 2013 for the princely sum of £1 by direct debit just here.

Please think about joining the BTO. It is not necessary to participate in the many voluntary activities as anyone can simply join the BTO and support its work through the annual subscription fee. Considering all the good work the BTO does it is both amazing and mystifying to know there are bird watchers out there in the UK who are not members - so come on guys and gals, join today for only £1 - less than a cup of Starbucks. Plug over.

Rawcliffe was the destination this morning, with no time for ringing, just a wander around and a top up the feeders for another day. When I arrived the Little Owl was out in the morning sun, warming itself after the overnight frost. It wasn’t interested in turning round for a photo, just content with a sideways glance. Hopefully I’d have it on the way back. 

Little Owl

On an expanse of stubble fields there’s a large and mobile flock of mainly finches, the numbers of birds building over the last few weeks culminating today in a count of 700/800 Chaffinch, 3+ Brambling, 70+ Skylark and 2 Meadow Pipit. From a hedgerow nearby I disturbed 3 Roe Deer which shot across the stubble, pausing only to look back briefly at me. The same hedgerow held 25+ Reed Bunting, 3 Yellowhammer and 45+ Tree Sparrow, 2 Redwing and a single Fieldfare. To the east I watched as c3000 Woodpigeons took flight, leaving in parties to make their way west and out to Pilling Moss. 

Brambling

Roe Deer

There were more Reed Buntings and Chaffinches near the plantation, with 10/12 Goldfinch too, so I topped the feeders vowing to return another day. My walk back to the car added 2 Snipe, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Great-spotted Woodpecker and 1 Kestrel. The owl was still there in the sunshine, all puffed up to retain heat, but this time a little more obliging to the camera. 

Little Owl

Little Owl

I drove back home alongside the river and via Lancaster Road where I added 50+ Fieldfare and similar numbers of Redwing. From the roadside I could see the elusive Hen Harrier of local fame patrolling the many fields on offer, and a mile or two towards Pilling a gang of people with cameras hoping for a glimpse. 

An excellent morning of bird watching. More news and views soon on Another Bird Blog, so stay in touch.

5 comments:

Isidro Ortiz said...

Hello Phil,bonitas fotos,por aqui se pueden ver ya algunos Pinzones reales,a ver si les puedo hacer algunas fotos.Un abrazo

Russell Jenkins said...

Super photos of the owl. I actually like the first one as it's a very cute angle. It was certainly worth stopping on the way back, though. I hope to visit the UK one day and will become a member of the BTO for 1 pound just for my visit.

Anonymous said...

Love the little owl... you asked about the P&S and the answer is yes, it was taken with that... it's a Canon Powershot S110. I also looked at the Sony RX100 and the Fujifilm FX1...

eileeninmd said...

Great post, Phil! It is exciting to find bird with bands from all around. Love the photos, especially the little owl. Happy Birding!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This 'another bird blog' is a fan no matter what or how many birds you spot and write about. I am, as always, in awe. The fieldfare with it's mouth open singing is my favorite picture. And as always, I dream of being able to see even once all those lovely birds. Even one of them. The little owl is lovely too. Well everything is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails