Thursday, November 1, 2012

Here, There And Everywhere

That’s what it felt like this morning, doing the rounds as the heavy showers dictated the time spent at a particular spot and in which direction the car travelled. 

The day started cloudy but dry at Fluke Hall, with plenty of Blackbirds around, and more than the usual number of finches in evidence. The busily feeding and mobile Chaffinch looked like recent arrivals with 25+, and with them at least 2 Brambling, the latter giving away their presence in the usual manner by the unmistakeable and obvious wheezing calls. Siskins did the same, feeding quietly and undetected in the high branches until a few tell-tale calls made me look up to find more than 10 of them moving through the tree tops. Near Ridge Farm I found the flock of Greenfinches numbering 25 today, and still 6+ Goldfinch. 

Brambling

Siskin

Not much on the flood at Damside, just 40+ Lapwing and a Great-spotted Woodpecker calling incongruously from the top of a telegraph pole. 

Great-spotted Woodpecker

Lane Ends next where a walk to Pilling Water was curtailed by an approaching black cloud. Hurrying back and then waiting for the burst to subside gave counts of 9 Little Egret, 3 Raven, 8 Snipe, 2 Meadow Pipit, 5 Chaffinch, 2 Siskin and 2 Buzzard. One Buzzard was perched on a post out on the marsh towards Cockerham, the other flying off the marsh and towards Pilling village. 

I headed north, trying to keep ahead of the rain coming following behind from the south-west, and stopped for a minute or two at Braides where 22 Redshank and 15 Curlew fed on the muddy pools. 

At Conder I found time to count 8 Little Grebe,1 Goosander and 2 Spotted Redshanks before the running tide cleared the waders from the creek and cleared me off to Glasson. I couldn’t find more than 1 Scaup with the 35 Tufted Duck, one or two of which with a hint of white at the base of the bill, have pretensions of being a real sea duck instead of a “bread” duck. A Cormorant proved fairly tolerant today, posing for a prehistoric portrait before sliding off into the water. 

Tufted Duck

Cormorant

It rained during the Jeremy Lane circuit where lots of Mute Swan were scattered across the fields, but I found a flock of 60+ Fieldfare along Moss Lane. When I stopped to take a look through the thrushes a female Sparrowhawk appeared from my left and then flew across the road to scatter the Fieldfares along a hedgerow. Towards Cockersands were 275 Curlew, 40 Golden Plover, 140 Lapwing, 6 Skylark, 3 Reed Bunting and 21 Tree Sparrow, the sparrows feeding alongside a single hedgerow. 

Tree Sparrow

Can’t believe it’s almost Friday, but time flies when you’re having fun and birding, so log in again soon to find out if Another Bird Blog has been having fun down your way.

15 comments:

Isidro Ortiz said...

Estupendas capturas Phil,a ver si este año puedo observar a los Pinzones reales y a los Luganos por aqui.Saludos

Findlay Wilde said...

You always seem to see so much. Really like the Brambling. From Findlay

Stewart M said...

Hi there - nice shot of the tree sparrow.

Brambling are splendid birds - a nice bird for winter.

Thanks for linking to WBW

Stewart M - Australia

PS: you called me "Andrew" in your comment, but I think I knew you meant me!

Joyful said...

Wonderful captures of the bird life.

Rohrerbot said...

That's one Cormorant I have yet to find on my journeys:) You have the best finds. Exciting stuff. Thanks for sharing:)

Gail Dixon said...

These are terrific! Loved the siskin and that particular woodpecker I've not seen before.

eileeninmd said...

Phil, you do seem to find the great birds. Your photos are wonderful. Happy Birding!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lots of birds and beautiful pictures! At our Florida house, we have a spotted woodpecker who hangs out on top of a telephone pole nearby...he's our alarm clock!

The siskin is lovely -- I think the ones I've seen here is just brown. I can't imagine what the brambling sounds like wheezing..that's a bird I've never heard of even.

A really enjoyable post; thank you for sharing.

news said...

Hi Phil: I think BT & myself must have been either in front or behind you in your circuit around Glasson/Thurnham some nice species seen today regardless of the weather.JWB.

Russell Jenkins said...

Love the siskin and sparrow portraits. Heaps of birds as usual and yippee it is Friday here so I'm hoping for at least one sunny day over my three days off.

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful shots! As always, your photos are a delight to see.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Sweet songbirds and that Carmorant...wow what a spectacular image Phil. I do hope that you enjoy a great weekend. Weather here has been really horrible for so many. We had one day of high winds, but we were spared, while so many millions were not. Very frightening times~

Rajesh said...

Beautiful birds of great variety.

Martha Z said...

A great day birding and such beautiful images. I feel I can reach out and stroke the siskin and the sparrow.

Jidhu Jose said...

beautiful birds

Buffaloes in Canal

Related Posts with Thumbnails